How I Care for My Buying Clients
and Work to Get Them Get Wonderful Properties
©Paul W. Dart, RE/MAX of Boulder, Inc. 2017
Transaction Broker or Buyers Agent?
In Colorado when you buy property with a real estate broker, you have a choice between working with them as a Transaction Broker or a Buyer’s Agent. Think of a Transaction Broker as a facilitator, someone who can take you through the entire transaction, but who cannot advise you based on their knowledge and experience. Notice that they are a “broker”, not an agent.
A Buyer Agent on the other hand is just that, and promotes your interests with the fiduciary duties of utmost good faith, loyalty and fidelity. Those are the legal duties of an agent for their principal. They literally place your needs above their own. They act as your advocate, advising you of the benefits and risks of the transaction as you go along, and negotiate only for you. This is how I work with my clients.
Whether this is your first home buying experience, you’re buying a second home, or are investing in real estate, I figure that you want a lot of good information before you can begin to feel that you can make a good decision. This is especially so if you’re relocating from a different area. You also would like to proceed at your own pace, feel confident in the expert guidance along the way, and know that you’re seeing every property of interest.
I begin our time together by
- Sitting down together to listen to your needs, goals & desires in buying a property. With that, your agenda becomes mine.
- Putting together a plan that proceeds at your pace – a step at a time – moving forward only when you’re ready.
- Helping you to understand the facts and characteristics of this real estate market in your price range, and the neighborhoods and locations that fit. We’ll tour as many houses as you’d like so you feel like you truly know the areas you’re interested in buying.
- Unless told otherwise, my assumption is that the property we’re looking for is not just a house, but an investment of your hard earned money, and so must meet a very high standard.
Prepared, your confidence will be strong about choosing a property that best fits your needs.
This is the House!
When you’ve identified a property you really like I’ll carefully analyze it to get a good understanding of its value:
- Where is it located?
- What’s its condition?
- How does it stack-up against the other properties that are for sale in the area?
- What are the sold listings of similar properties in the area, where are they located, and how do they compare?
- Does the listing history of this property show price reductions indicating motivation by the seller?
- How many days has this property been on the market?
With this information and more you’ll have a very good understanding of its value. Then we’ll construct a negotiating strategy designed to bring the seller to your position.
Once the property is under contract I’ll go to work managing the transaction and handling any issues that may come up to assure your contingency dates and times are met. I’ll guide you through the various provisions and contingencies of the contract right up through the closing.
- Title and title exceptions review,
- HOA document review if necessary,
- Assistance working with any mortgage finance items for loan approval,
- And any issues and challenges that arise during this period.
Before we go to the closing we’ll walk through the property to assure it’s in substantially the same condition as it was when you placed it under contract. If there are any problems we’ll work those out with the seller prior to closing. I’ll also arrange for the title company to get you all of the closing documents in advance if you desire so you can review them comfortably without any pressure. When the closing day arrives you can be relaxed and confident, knowing that everything is in order; ready to enjoy your new home.
Even after you’re in your new home I’ll be close by. I’m there to handle any hitches, and also for you to draw on innumerable and dependable resources and relationships I’ve cultured over the years. As time goes by, if you need a plumber, electrician, accountant, or just want to know where to get the best pizza, you can depend on me. My goal is that any time you need, you can look out the window and see that knight on his steed, ready to serve.
Looking for an investment property?
I have been a successful investor and am happy to share the key points that distinguish regular property from one that will attract tenants and appreciate at the highest rate for the area.